Friday, February 12, 2010

Top 10 Songs About Magic (Part 2 *THE TOP 5*: With Video)


So for the exciting conclusion, and the (in my opinion) TOP 5 songs about magic are as follows:


*Please take note of the very scientific way one orders such things as 'Top 5' lists in the picture*


#5 Olivia Newton John - "Magic"




To say that I have always had a crush on ole ONJ would be a huge understatement. I grew up watching her in Grease and Xanadu as a kid. She can sing, she was Austrailian, and she was/is REALLY pretty. A woman of her time, for certain.


#4 The Cars - "Magic"




Now, you are starting to see the recurrent theme developing. Most of these songs are about magic! But more importantly, they have MAGIC right in the title. Fear not, one actually does not, and it is yet to come! But this one, was one of the first times I had ever seen magic as a kid. Rick Ocasick (sp?) walking on water at some retirement home/mardi gras party is pretty amazing, ESPECIALLY, given the nature of the times. Still love this video very very much! He even did this before Criss Angel to the delight of what appears to be one of the Fat Boys and Uncle Sam (who subsequently has a chin-stache?).


#3 Cory Branan - "Lilly"




I'd be lying if I said I didn't love this song. First time I heard it I was glamoured to say the least. Now I think with Cory having a magician friend, he can't help but relate it to yours truly (note at the time frame at 1 minute and 15 seconds into the video). I've shot the video for this in my head, and how it would play out. Hell, I've even designed the cover for this cd using this song as inspiration. We will have to see how that works out in the long run. Magic as a metaphor for a relationship is just genius, to be honest. I do love it. I hope you do too!


#2 Jason Isbell - "The Magician"




Probably the reason that this one is this high, but, not quite number one is for several reasons. Firstly I think it's the best song about a magician I've ever heard, and instead of using magic like a metaphor (like all the ones here) it actually is about a magician. It's a great description of some thoughts, and the life of, one of my kind, I guess. He really and truly nails it with this song. I always mean to record this song when I see Jason, but, sometimes I just want to kick back and truly enjoy the song. I guess I know how all those truckers feel about songs that sing about truck driving, in that 'Tell-it-brother" kind of fashion.


#1 Heart - "Magic Man"




I heart Heart. Just the way it is. This is the best and coolest song about 'magic' around. It would be hard to disagree I think with this. It was my ringback tone for a while, and after getting calls, I would pick up the phone to utter laughter because of this song. I need to turn it back on. If you corner me about it, sometime I might give you a mini-lecture about the lyric 'Com'on home, girl' and how if it was 'Com'on, Homegirl' it would make a great rap song-thingy.


So, that's it! The Top #10 Songs About Magic. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed putting it together! Let me know if you found something new, agree, or even disagree with my choices!


Until I see you at Elon...or I see you at The Local 506, I hope your day is magical.


All the best,


Michael




No comments:

Post a Comment