Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Texts I'm Thankful For




Since the end of August, I've switched to the iPhone. One of the best decisions I've ever made and honestly, don't know how I lived without it. In the embracing any new technology, the old one has to be let go to pasture...with a cell phone this means you will never ever need it again. Not only do I have tendencies like my West Virginian Memaw (except I collect stray musicians v. stray animals) I hoard all this old technology. A simple trip to my attic and tumble over 3 to 5 old video game systems will tell you this.







I had sent all the photos to my email. I had moved all of the contacts to the new phone. It wasn't until after moving the last contact that I realized...I loved some of the text messages I received. So I figure, as an homage to the phone that was my phone for the last few years, I would honor those texts here. Some will have names, and some won't. Doesn't really matter either way, it's basically a final resting place that I can read and remember anyway, because, in two more years we will communicating telepathically and texts will have gone the way of the reel to reel at that point.







So, on to the texts:







Ryan Johnson (Guitar, American Aquarium) *Jan 9, 2009 1:45 am


"hey some guy is doing some lame ass tricks in columbia. i miss you. hahah"


Jason Kutchma (Red Collar) *Mar 20, 2009 8:21pm


"Cory sez hey" *attached picture of Cory Branan in SXSW*


David Slade (American Princes) *Jul 11, 2009 5:27pm


"Shucks...those dudes* rule. I'm def around on the 20th. If they need a place to stay, it's on."


*in reference to Red Collar's show at the White Water Tavern


David Slade (American Princes) *Sep 2, 2009 4:55pm


"Did you know that Mastadon means 'Nipple Tooth'?"


Luke Hunsicker (American Princes) *Sep 4, 2009 4:23pm


"Man I just wanted to send you some love. Really sorry I didn't get to hang with you with the rest of the guys. They said they had a good time and I'm sure it was awesome. Love you."


Matt Quinn (American Princes) *Sep 4, 7:31pm


"Even without that deck of cards, you'd still be the most magical guy i know"


Chris Malarky (The Pourhouse) *Dec 24, 2009 4:01pm


*Picture of Chris in a Rebel Pilot Mark Ekco hoodie...completely zipped up.


Todd Beene (Glossary) Apr 16, 2010 1:38am

Circus Circus in Las Vegas. Wish you were here!
*Contains picture of Mary in front of Criss Angel's store

Todd Beene (Same) May 19, 2010 7:15pm

"You are on the guest lista!"

Angela Casey (Awesome Wives Club) May 21, 2010 8:44am

"Yum Yum!" *Contains picture of a birthday cake

Cory Branan (Singer/Songwriter) May 28, 2010 11:12am

"Mornin sugar!"

Cory Branan (Same) May 30, 2010 12:57am

"Dude- everyone was talkin about you so much today. U r now an adjective (actual sentence after good song) "wow that song was mike!"

Luke Hunsicker (American Princes) Jul 30, 10:17pm

"Sydney just wet herself yes! A million times yes!"

Luke Hunsicker (American Princes) Jul 30, 10:19pm

"I love you man"

David Slade (American Princes) Aug 11, 2010 10:04pm

"Hey man, I just wanted you to know that Luke decided on Hospice today."

Todd Beene (Glossary) Aug 12, 2010 2:26am

"Mary says get here right now. White Water. Nowish."

Angela Casey (Awesome Wives Club) Aug 12, 2010 1:22pm

*picture of a bottle of Redbreast Irish Whisky

David Slade (American Princes) Aug 16, 2010 7:44pm

"Hey, I meant to say this earlier: your email to Luke was beautiful. Thank you so much. You're an incredible friend."

Aug 23, 2010

"Hey my friend. Luke passed away this morning. I'm in class right now but I'll call in a few hours."

You know...I started this post last week. I had no idea it would end like this, but, in a way it seems fitting. We don't have letters to keep anymore. Things that were once tangible are now digital, and so I'm sure we will always forget what is encompassed in these electronic vessels. After unpacking this for texts I had kept, I was chilled at the swiftness that cancer took my friend's life. That makes me remember the time I did get to spend in Little Rock with Red Collar, and the southern family at White Water that have adopted me.

I'm constantly reminded that I've surrounded myself with some pretty spectacular people. They are the best people I know, and I hope that everyone has something like this...because even months after reading that last message it hits me like a knife to the chest and you need a reminder that even in the darkest hour you can reach out with something as simple as a text message or phone call to grab a hold of the light.

Michael




No comments:

Post a Comment